Sunday, May 11, 2008

It's getting deep

I mean the rain. It hasn't rained this much since I moved here. I think there have been at least three droughts in the last five years. I'm not complaining, we desperately need to rain.

Took the GF out for Mother's Day, she's not my mom ( I'm not that strange) but she has intentions of being one some day, so I figured the practice wouldn't hurt. The Skillet looked packed so we went down to South Boston. It has gotten really green since the rains started.

I haven't heard much around town, although I did catch a few sentences of discontent while in the NAPA store this week. I also caught a few mumblings at the Jiffy Mart. I think most people are just waiting to see what happens with the budget. It will probably go through, it will be interesting to see who supports it and who doesn't.

I do have a question about a local feature: where is Craptown?
I've heard two elderly people mention it, but I've never seen any signs that say Craptown, and because of the age of the people talking I don't think they are joking, I think they are talking about a community.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always heard of Craptown, don't know alot about it but i bet Mr. Guthrie,or some of the older people could help and would like to tell the story.

Anonymous said...

Craptown aka Camptown
Down Rt.40 toward Charlotte County
Camptown store is falling down but Acie Hamlette has done a painting of it. He may know more.

Tuffy Horse said...

Is it near Oh Well? I thought that place was a joke too, until a friend took me out to it.

Of course, I also inadvertantly discovered where Granny's Elbow is on Sugar Hill Road. That place is scary!

Anonymous said...

OLD Well
How about Hell Bend? Whipping Creek? Miss Emmitt's (or Emmett) Spring? Dog Creek Road.

Anonymous said...

Which Mr. Guthrie--Billy or Herbert? Have you contacted Mr. Ginther? He is the local historian and almost 100. What about Mrs. Wilson? She was born in Brookneal, lived here all her life, and taught school for a long time.

Anonymous said...

Both can tell you something, even Billy Rudder could tell you something about it. It probaly is a story just like HOW HOG WALLOW got it's name.